Monday, September 26, 2011

Monday, September 26, 2011 & Meal Plan

Breakfast:
Leftover homemade oatmeal with milk to drink (coffee for me!).  Made the oatmeal on Sunday morning with vanilla extract, brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, and a diced apple leftover from last week's trip to the fresh veggie/fruit market. When I make oatmeal, I use milk for half of the liquid & water for half.

Lunch:
Kiddos had wheat crackers with cheddar cheese blocks, red & orange bell pepper strips (leftover from making dinner), apple slices & 100% apple juice in their Thermoses.  I had cheese & crackers.  I was also blessed to sample a friend's yummy Orzo with Garlicky White Beans and Chicken Sausage.  The garlic breath was totally worth it!  :-)
Afternoon Snack:
Gogurts (Target ran out of Simply Gogurts & I had a coupon to use, so I settled for additives & dyes...this time only!) & No Bake Energy Bites.

Dinner:
Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Steak & Rice, Target's refried black beans with lime juice, buttered corn-on-the-cob for the girlies & me, and leftover cucumber & tomato salad for the hubby, who is allergic to corn.  Everyone had a wedge of lime to sqeeze on the steak & rice (or whatever part of their meal they felt like covering in lime juice). 
*When I made the steak & rice, I made some healtheir changes to the ingredients.  I used 1 C of Swanson's 100% natural beef broth (reserving the remainder for reheating leftovers in the microwave), cut up half a red onion, half of a red pepper, and half of an orange bell pepper & threw those in before cooking, instead of adding defrosted frozen veggies at the end.  I also used instant brown rice instead of white rice.  This meal received a HUGE thumbs-up from the fam, so it will be a redo for sure!


Meals for the rest of the week:
Breakfasts:

Oatmeal leftovers, whole wheat waffles (Van's egg-free whole wheat waffles for my egg-allergy sweetie) w/ pure maple syrup, or Cheerios with milk to drink.

 Lunches:
Girls will have natural turkey sandwiches on 100% whole wheat bread, fresh veggies (cucumber, bell peppers, or broccoli), satsumas & apple juice to drink.  I bought Smart Ones with a coupon today, so I'll be having those this week.

Dinners:
Tues:  Last night of steak & rice with green leaf lettuce salad w/ leftover cut-up fresh veggies (cauliflower, broccoli & cucumber).

Wed: Dinner at church.

Thurs-Sat:  Thawing out gumbo a friend brought over after my surgery (Thanks, Wendy!!). Will make rice & we'll have green salad, and I'm going to try this Oven Roasted Cauliflower recipe to use the cauliflower I found on sale & had a coupon for this week.


Next week:
Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets (Not sure of the sides yet.)
Crock Pot Ministrone Soup (Going to add some ground turkey meatballs to make the hubs happy!)


What did your family eat today?

No comments:

Post a Comment