Tuesday, September 27, 2011

This Month's Meals (September 2011)

These are the recipes I remember making during this whirldwind of a month:
  • BBQ Chicken Sloppy Joes with green beans.  I use ground turkey to make these & use 1 tsp or less of Tabasco & that's plenty of hot sauce for our family.  I serve them on WhiteWheat buns so the family gets a little more fiber, and won't turn up their noses at whole wheat buns.  I know, we eat whole wheat bread & lots of other whole wheat items, but they just don't want the whole wheat buns.  I don't make the cheesy waffle fries listed with the recipe, as we had waffle fries with these sloppy joes once & it was too much to eat.  They would probably work well for a big family with lots of growing teenage boys, or for a slumber party with lots of girls!  :-)
  • Slow Cooker Pulled Pork on rolls with egg-free potato salad.  This is also very good w/ coleslaw.  When I make this recipe, I add the entire can of tomato paste, since I don't want to waste what's left in a typically-sized can.  I also use 2 pinches of cayenne pepper & still find it's not too spicy.
  • Crock Pot Girls' Bacon Ranch Chicken over baked poatoes with fresh cut carrot sticks.  I found this to be very salty, so I will probably use lower sodium ingredients the next time I make this recipe.  I used 5 chicken breasts, since that's how many came in the pack & shredded them after cooking to soak in the sauce.  This also made it easier to top the potatoes with the chicken.  My family inhaled this recipe!  They loved it! 
  • Moo Shu Pork with flour torillas.  I found these to be missing the sweetness from the plum sauce that I'm used to in restaurants, so I added some all-fruit jelly to them when I reheated them. Yum!
  • Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Steak & Rice (see post from September 26, 2011 for the changes I made to the recipe).  Served with Target's refried black beans w/ lime juice, boiled corn-on-the-cob, and lime wedges (and other fresh veggie sides when we ran out of beans & corn).
I'll post more if I can remember them!

What yummy recipes did your family eat this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment